Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Looking Beyond Lemonade

Today has been a little tasking emotionally and slightly physically.  I stated on my Facebook post that I had been given some of life's lemons and I'd probably be making lemonade in deference to the old adage.  Little did I know when I posted that that I would get to more hits with lemons!  Things do come in threes they say.  First, let me say that the "lemons" I received are not earth shattering or life threatening.  There are far worse things I could be experiencing but it was a triple shot day and I was a little knocked off kilter by the first one.  The second two turned out to be a blessing in disguise, thank you, Lord!  So here's what happened and yes, it could be much much worse, so I'm not having a pity party just a little observational conversation.  #1... My new co-worker of a little over 4 months told me that she is taking a position in another department and her last day is in two weeks.  Whoa, was not expecting that information in any way, shape or fashion.  Poor girl, my initial reaction was to burst into tears!  The tears were two-fold.  First, immediate panic of "I can't do both of our jobs!!"  The university I work at isn't approving requests to fill open positions in a rapid manner or at all leaving many office workers doing the work of two or three people.  We just filled this position at the end of February after my original co-worker retired at the end of last year.  Secondly, the tears were because I love working with my new co-worker.  She is young, bright, funny, easy going, easy to talk to and work with etc.  I know why the other office (higher up) recruited her.  She's good at what she does and has a bright future ahead.  Anyway, once she left and I did some more crying and much praying for strength and wisdom behind my closed office door, I cleaned myself up and got on with the work day.  #2... My husband called later in the afternoon to tell me that our washer, which has been sickly for quite sometime, was finally gasping it's last breaths and I should stop at the local store in town and pick out a new washer and have them deliver it tomorrow.  Okay, no problem, I knew that one was coming in the near future.  Second hit wasn't too damaging.  I then had a meeting with my boss to discuss filling our upcoming open office position.  After telling him about the washer death knell, I jokingly told him that I was waiting on the third thing to happen since things seem to happen in threes.  #3... A half hour later I'm sitting down in the Dean's office getting ready to talk to the administrative assistant about the upcoming open position when my cell phone rings with the hubby's ringtone.  I excuse myself to get it and tell him I will call him back in a minute.  His reply, "Hurry, I have a problem here."  Since he is home recuperating from full knee replacement surgery, my first thought was that he had done something awful to the knee etc.  I called him right back and asked what the problem was and he tells me the washer water line broke and water was all over our utility room.  Area carpet on the floor and all other throw rugs were soaked, etc.  A huge ball of something dropped in my stomach to say the least.  With a quick, prayerful thank you that he wasn't physically injured, I headed back up to the office to tell my co-worker I had to leave now etc. etc.

As I am driving home, I'm doing some more praying.  Asking for wisdom, strength, for the Lord to get glory in all circumstances, and letting the Lord know that I knew this was all in His hands.  Called to check on things at home and my stepson was able to stop by after work on his way home and was in the process of cleaning up the water mess in the utility room.  I love that boy!  Stopped and purchased washer and made arrangements for next day delivery; get home, grab towels etc. and begin helping with the clean up process; old washer removal to outside, etc.  The hubby was able to get hold of a plumber and he arrived and fixed the water lines.  We took a break to eat supper ... thank you Pizza Hut!  Floors dried and I got to sweep all that yuck that accumulates beside and behind washers over the years out as well as spray bug spray etc.  After a little too much spray inhalation, I went outside to sit in the swing and soak up the fresh air, do some more praying and talking with my Lord and enjoying the evening as it cooled off.  The washer and water line break were blessings in disguise because if all that had happened in the morning while they were trying to deliver and install the new washer it would have been a far worse mess.  My stepson would have been at work and unable to help as well.  The Lord knows what needs to happen and when, so we are thankful for that little bump in the road.  Also, David's physical therapist had showed up about the time the water line broke, and bless her heart, she pitched in and helped get stuff up off the floor and followed David down to the cellar to turn off the water.  I pray the Lord blesses her in special way for her help.  God is good!!  We try to find the positive in the negative.  And we thank the Lord that the funding was in the savings to pay for the washer and the water line repairs... again His provision.

Now back to the contemplation of the lemons.  I got to thinking about the old adage "When life gives you lemons make lemonade" and began wondering what other things lemons might be good for.  You know, looking beyond lemonade.  Of course, a web search for "things to do with lemons" was performed.  So on a lighter note and perhaps a helpful one, here are some other things you can do with lemons besides make lemonade.  These are from the following web site:  http://naturalmothersnetwork.com/healthy-eating/the-versatile-lemon/
  1. Got a sore throat? Add lemon juice and honey to some sage tea and gargle it before going to bed.
  2. Freeze the juice in ice cube trays for later use.
  3. Polish copper by rubbing it with a lemon juice-soaked cloth and buffing it dry.
  4. Make a refreshing tea, with lemon, fresh mint and lemon grass.
  5. For a mild, stain-free bleach, soak your delicate clothing in a mixture of lemon juice and baking soda for at least half an hour before washing.
  6. Make a simple but delicious risotto, with mascarpone, parmesan, black pepper and plenty of lemon zest, garnish with wild rocket.
  7. Add half a lemon to the dishwasher load for sparkling, spot-free, clean-smelling dishes.
  8. Infuse your favourite oil with lemon peel: Warm 250ml olive oil and the rind of two lemons over a very low heat for 15 minutes, then allow to cool before decanting it into  a stoppered bottle. Delicious on salad greens
  9. To remove lime scale, hard water or soap residue rub taps, draining boards and even porcelain with lemon.
  10. Cut a lemon in half and sprinkle baking soda on the cut section. Use the lemon to scrub dishes, surfaces and stains.
  11. Exfoliate and clean your feet by mixing up some lemon pulp and brown sugar and get rubbing! Rinse and moisturise.
  12. Use the power of lemon as a natural furniture polish - combine 1 part lemon juice with 2 parts olive oil.
  13. For ink spots on clothing, apply lots of lemon juice to the stain as soon as possible. Wash the garment in normal cycle in cold water.
  14. Another all-purpose cleaning solution: combine lemon juice, vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
  15. Make Natural Mothers Lemon Curd
  16. Clean earrings by placing them in a saucer of lemon juice.
  17. Dry lemon or orange peels can be used to freshen drawers.
  18. Make French Lemon Macaroons for a loved one.
  19. Make a facial scrub with sugar and lemon juice for cleaner and softer skin.
There you have it!  Trust me there are plenty of other sites as well.  Point is when life gives you those lemons, look beyond their face value and see what else can come from them.  Many times it is something positive, helpful, and good.
                                          ~~  Tami ~~


No comments:

Post a Comment